Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Quick Update...

Just wanted to do a small update about past and future happenings since I haven't posted in a while.

Wedding Season Has Begun!

Bride of Frankenstein for those who don't get the reference.
Scary words, but it's true. A couple weekends ago we shot the first wedding of the season. It was one of our larger packages, so it required staying overnight in KC. Other than falsely being accused of making too much noise in our room (which we somehow did in the first 30 seconds of being there) things went off without a hitch. It's always nice to start the wedding season off smooth as it helps set the tone for the rest of the year. I just hope this year I don't have any more run-ins with selfish photographers that lack event shooting etiquette. Last time it almost got confrontational.


Photography Work?


I am finding time for shots though.
Speaking of photography, I worked my first photography job this year too. Unfortunately, it wasn't booked through me, so ZiF/Howard Photography is still waiting for it's first photo gig. I actually worked as a second shooter for my videography employer Digital Odeon. I would file the job under 'Corporate Event Coverage' so it was a nice relaxed pace and had very few critical shots to capture. The biggest task of the day was getting an outdoor group photo of everyone at the event. This required getting and keeping the attention of over 200 people and climbing a ladder in the back of a truck. Everything seemed to go well and I really enjoyed the work. It also helped point out areas my equipment is lacking in. For instance, I'm afraid I'll have to finally break down and buy that flash unit I've been avoiding. At times there was just barely enough light to get by on.



My Return To The Ring


Lastly, I will be headed up to KC to cover more MMA action. Saturday May 14th, 108 Promotions is hosting Shine At The Shrine II. It's always great to shoot for them, but I am particularly excited to shoot this event because they will be switching to a cage for the first time. Normally I would be shooting from the side of a boxing ring, completely exposed to fighters, running back and forth on a ledge less than a foot wide with fans a judges below. So, you can see why I would be excited about having a coated chain-link barrier and shooting down on the fighters from a pedestal would be more appealing.




Well, that's all for right now. I'll be back next week with a post about the fights, hopefully they'll have video for me to share by then. In the meantime, don't forget to 'Like' our new Facebook page.

Thanks for reading!
##

No comments:

Post a Comment